When considering reasons to believe in Jesus, here are some things to consider (thanks to Gary Habermas for this list):
- Jesus died due to the rigors of crucifixion.
- Jesus was buried.
- Jesus’ death caused the disciples to despair and lose hope.
- Many scholars hold that Jesus’ tomb was discovered to be empty just a few days later.
- At this time, the disciples had real experiences that they believed to be literal experiences of the risen Jesus.
- The disciples were transformed from doubters who were afraid to identify with Jesus, to bold proclaimers of his death and resurrection, even being willing to die for this belief.
- The resurrection was central to their message.
- The resurrection was proclaimed in Jerusalem where the empty tomb was. As a result…
- The church was born and grew…
- …with Sunday the primary day of worship.
- James, Jesus’ skeptical brother, was converted by the resurrection.
- Paul, the great persecutor of Christianity, was converted by the resurrection
Think about it.